Friday, April 5, 2013

Finally, 15 months later... it's time to start working on the boat!


The ice finally started to melt off of the roof beams on the building which allowed work to safely start up again putting the large sheets of tin down. The poly boat tarps are now going over the side - allowing my first real open access for work. It's taken 15 months to get this far but I think it will all be worth the extra effort in the rebuild. 




The first teak planks are being pulled up in the lower photo to get an idea of the condition of the steel underneath. I am fully expecting to have to pull the entire steel deck up and weld in a new one. The decision is made not to replace the teak which should provide a watertight deck in any sea. Thousands of screw holes holding the last deck down failed so no need to go that route again.

Time to build a large stairway for ease of access, strip the decks, strip the interior overhead and anything else that hints of rot (all of which was caused by the leaking decks). Also this summer I hope to pull the diesel out to begin its restoration next winter.


2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to watching this getting started. I enjoyed the beginnings of your blog and wondered if you'd disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope never to have the project disappear until it has rounded cape horn (the long way). The reason the project will evolve slowly is that I made a few promises to myself before I handed over the cash for the salvage. The promises were; 1) Do the family no financial harm - which translates into doing everything possible to reclaim my investments after all is said and done. You'll notice I am only spending money on what is welded, painted, wired or otherwise attached to, or essential for, the vessel. The rest all will be sold/salvaged prior to launch day. I am not wealthy. The only way I can make this happen at all is via sweat equity ie. buy broken, fix up, sell later. 2) Family First - my kids are young and I am supporting their needs first, and I love that. They will be clear of the 'nest' prior to launching (perhaps 8-9 years from now) and will make their own decisions - if they want to climb aboard or not. My wife does not show any interest in sailing any more. I am working towards understanding more of her future goals and doing all I can to support them at the same time. 3) Return any and all that join me alive, and well! - perhaps 2 years after departure.

      Delete